Smart Home Systems
smart  The Smartest Home Improvements
house  Home Automation, Security & Energy Savings

smart
Search

Shop

SmartHomeUSA.com Home Automation Forum Index SmartHomeUSA.com Home Automation
Home Automation Help and Advice for the Do-It-Yourself'er

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use a CAT5 plug/jack on CAT6 wire?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SmartHomeUSA.com Home Automation Forum Index -> General Discussion
steveoberly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Can I use a CAT5 plug/jack on CAT6 wire? Reply with quote

I am wondering if anyone knows if I am able to put a CAT5 plug/jack onto my CAT6 wire. I currently have no need for CAT6 speeds and I already have many cat5 plugs(but only have cat6 wire). Is there any great disadvantage to doing this?? I figured that when I need CAT 6 capabilities I can just purchase cat6 plugs at that time and swap them out. Thanks for all your time!!

Steve
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand there is only one standard connector, the RJ45 (the connector that looks like a telephone with 6 wire spots, you've used it with cat5) connector. So yes, you can use an RJ45 connector with cat6 cabling. The cat6 cablind is just a higher grade cabling but uses the same termination end points as regular cat5/cat5e cabling.
steveoberly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Standard RJ45 connectors?? Reply with quote

If there is only one standard RJ45 connector, then why do companies specify plugs & connectors seperately for CAT5, CAT5e, and CAT6? (also whith such a price difference between them all) Still isn't completely clear to me. Thanks for your relpies and time!!!
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you show me some example links. Honestly i havn't been doing any networking lately, been focusing on marketing, so I could be rusty, but I was under the assumption there was only 1 type of RJ45 plug.
Adam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveoberly, are you sure you saw different items for cat6 rj45 connectors? The RJ45 connector is an industry standard network jack. The cable can be changed such as Cat5, Cat5e, Cat6, even your regular old phone able, can all be used with the RJ45 connector. Ive never heard of a specialty connector for cat6 cable. Reason being, is that the RJ45 is, as i said, industry standard so it fits into network cards and computer systems. If they changed the plug, then it would not fit into computer systems and networks.

So I think what you might have seen was a cat6 grouping with rj45 connectors included, but you will most definitly be fine using cat6 (or any Category cable) with an RJ45 connector.
steveoberly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: cat5e and cat6 comparison Reply with quote

Adam,
With your help and my own research of my concern about the differences, I feel I've come to a 'content' conclusion of the matter. However, you asked for a link that was marketing CAT5,5e & Cat6 as different items; and I wanted to foreward those to you.
Lanshack is one of the many sites I've found that sold both plugs and jacks for these wires. In all the sites I have not found an item that states that it is intended to be installed on all types...... ie: no item states anything that gives the impression:"fits CAT5 & CAT6...or UNIVERSAL"
Again, I greatly appreciate your reply & effort!!!
Steve Oberly
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/leviton-Quickport-Phone-Snapin/Item/5G108/
http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/leviton-Quickport-Phone-Snapin/Item/5G110/
Ralph
Expert Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the two styles of plugs would be backwards from your conversation.

A Cat5E or Cat6 connector can be used on both types of cables, the difference would be maximum bandwidth. The Cat5E connector would not handle (theoretically) the Cat6 bandwidth levels. Placing Cat6 connectors on Cat5E cable provides no issues.

Cat6 cable is rated at twice the available bandwidth (Cat5E at 100MHz and Cat6 at 200MHz).
Rich A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cat 5 is a 4-pair cable but only uses 2 pr up to 100 meters 10/100
Cat 5e is a 4-pair cable but uses 4 pr up to 100 meters 10/100/1000
Cat 6 is also a 4-pair cable, that uses 4 pr. up to 100 meters 10/100/1000

All "CAT"s are available in stranded or solid core wire.
Stranded is more flexible but better suited for shorter runs.
Solid is less flexible but will work better over longer runs.

All use the common RJ45 plugs and jacks. Some connecting plugs and jacks are "supposedly" better suited for higher speed by having different contact materials .. ie gold plated etc.

The CAT6 twisted pairs are twisted at a higher twist rate than Cat5. For example instead of 5 twists per inch they may be 10 twists per inch. (only an example) The tighter twist is (from what I remember) to decrease cross talk or data contamination between pairs because of the higher data transfer rate.
buckyswider

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have successfully used Leviton cat 5e jacks with cat 6 cable. I originally thought it wasn't working myself due to unknown issues (probably related to lack of sleep!) and emailed Leviton. They replied that their 5/5e jacks will work with Cat 6. I re-punched everything in what I though was exactly the way I had it before (several times) and voila, now it worked!!! I guess 'belief' was all I lacked!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SmartHomeUSA.com Home Automation Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1